Saturday, September 17, 2016
The Bible speaks of many sins, but suprisingly, the one that heads the list in Revelation 21:8 is fearfulness. “The fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.“
Why is fearfulness considered a sin?
1. Fear shows a lack of faith – “The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.” Prov 29:25 “[Jesus] saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea.” Mat. 8:26
2. Fear forgets God’s promises –“ I, even I, am he that comforteth you: who art thou, that thou shouldest be afraid of a man that shall die, and of the son of man which shall be made as grass; And forgettest the Lord thy maker, that hath stretched forth the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth; and hast feared continually every day because of the fury of the oppressor…” Isa. 51:12-13
3. Fear is devilish and fleshly – “God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” II Tim. 1:7
4. Fear is contagious and brings others into a weak state–The armies of Israel were instructed by their officers this way, -“What man is there that is fearful and fainthearted? let him go and return unto his house, lest his brethren's heart faint as well as his heart.” Deut. 20:8
5. Fear confounds good judgment – “The spies brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel…And all the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron Num… But all the congregation bade stone them with stones.” Numbers 13:30, 14:2,10
There is one kind of fear that we should have, however - a godly fear – “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.” Prov 9:10 “
Surely his salvation is nigh them that fear him .Psalm 85:9 -adapted from biblebelievers.com
Friday, September 9, 2016
Stanley also said we do not believe Christianity because of the Bible, but because of the resurrection and eyewitness testimonies. A couple of years ago, Stanley said that preachers should stop saying, “The Bible says,” a position he reaffirmed during the conversation.
Thursday, August 4, 2016
Monday, July 25, 2016
Friday, March 11, 2016
Each evening, Sunday, March 13th - Wednesday, March 16th, at 7pm, and 11am Sunday morning, March 13th, Derek Yan will be sharing gospel messages with us. "Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee? Shew us thy mercy, O LORD, and grant us thy salvation.
I will hear what God the LORD will speak: for he will speak peace unto his people, and to his saints: but let them not turn again to folly.
Surely his salvation is nigh them that fear him; that glory may dwell in our land.
Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
Truth shall spring out of the earth; and righteousness shall look down from heaven..." Psalm 85:6-11
In August of 1991, Derek came to the United States as an exchange student and gave his life to Christ on March 21, 1992. Derek committed his life to pastoral ministry in March 1996 while studying at Louisiana Tech University. God has formed in his heart a passion for holiness in His church, for training and equipping the saints, and for all nations to know God.
Derek and his wife Laura served 10 years in college ministry and church planting with the North American Mission Board in Seattle. God moved them back to Texas to serve at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fall 2011.